Monday, September 8, 2014

WHY NOT!

Well lately Xander has been asking us "why not?" no matter what the situation. Every time we answer the why not we are greeted with another and another. We know this is a learning thing and most of the time we are more then happy to keep answering the question over and over. The other day was particularly full of them. Jim finally said very kindly "Xander enough with the why not OK" so Xander stopped for a while and went about his activities and a few hours later I asked Jim to do something for me his answer ironically was "sure, why not." What happened next was so priceless to both of us as well as a learning experience for us. Xander looked up at Jim and said "Dad enough with the why not already" All we could do was laugh and of course Xander laughed with us without knowing truly how funny the moment had been to us. Made me think a lot though. How important every little thing we do is to our children. It is so important that everything we tell our children also apply to us as much as possible. Of course we cant stop touching knives or cooking on the stove but maybe the lesson for our children is better served to teach them how to safely be around them and use them. Now obvious that you would never give your little child a sharp knife, but maybe a plastic one to practice with or a butter knife. Xander helps me cook all the time. He knows he is allowed to touch and help with everything in the kitchen as long as I am there and we have been having so much fun doing it all together. The best part is that when I am not there he is not interested in any of the cupboards or drawers or anything in the kitchen for that matter. Just like the kitchen I have taken a different approach to the constant questioning of "why not?" instead of any short answers or brushing off I have tried to be completely honest and talk to him about the situation. Amazingly enough the "why not?" has morphed from multiples within seconds to one with a satisfied answer. His learning is satisfied. I often had to remind myself that he was not questioning what I asked him to do, he was learning why it is important. I have noticed that the next time I ask him to do something he understands it now and no longer asks why. Young children learn so fast. Yesterday was fast and testimony Sunday. I get up every Sunday and bear my testimony because when I was younger my wonderful middle brother challenged me to bear my testimony every time I had the chance. I often feel like people might be getting sick of hearing from me but I persist because if for nobody else I need it. Well yesterday was a different day for me all together. Xander came up with me and I helped him to share his little testimony. He had no fear and I would like to think it is because he has watched me do it his whole life so he knew if mom can do it so can he. I couldn't have been more proud of his willingness at this small age to go up there and tell people what he believes. What an inspiration to me. I am a true believer that our children can do great things. They are more able then we can comprehend and all they need to be given is the faith from parents and important people around them and they will soar! I am amazed that Xander is turning three at the end of this month. His life is such a blessing in mine. I would be such a different person without him. He is so kind and loving. So willing to learn and serve. I am excited for the day when he is in my shoes, I can wait there is no rush, but Im excited to see the man he will become and the lives he will change with his goodness and brilliance. I have made a promise to myself to tell him how wonderful he is everyday and about all the things I am so proud of in him, in hopes that he will continue on in them and make his talents shine. Life is so wonderful at every stage. It is all on us though if each stage isnt better then the next because we build our wonderful little children up into teens and then adults. We can be a friend or an enemy, a teacher or a critic, a confidant or someone who doesnt care. Its up to us! You, Me, Jim, and every other parents out there. I choose to be the person that makes my child the best he can be. Someone that I will be so proud of to one day tell the whole world, "that is my son, and I couldnt have been more proud" It doesnt matter what he does for a living, it doesnt matter where he lives. All that matters is if he is charitable and kind, full of faith, with a good sense of humor and a humble heart. If he becomes all of these things I will know that I have done my job. Until then I have work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment